Your Trusty Spring Boat Maintenance Checklist
The weather is finally improving, but the window to visit your favorite lake or river is small. Yes, it’s tempting to forgo spring boat maintenance and head right out on the water this year. No, that’s not a good idea.
Let’s face it, there are a million things on your mind, spring boat maintenance likely not being one of them. That is until you wish you’d taken care of it the week before when the weather was unusually crappy. Just so that doesn’t happen this year…again, here’s your handy-dandy spring boat maintenance checklist.
Fuel System and Engine
- Change engine air filter
- Change transmission and engine cooler zincs
- Look over engine mounts
- Change engine heater plugs
- Determine oil reservoir level
- Inspect oil cooler for leaks
- Commission engine at the dock
- Check cooling and oil pressure/check fluids
- Change out oil absorbent pads
- Soap/scrub engine pan and bilges
- Charge and test batteries if needed
- Make sure all electronics work
- Check the boat motor’s electrical connections
- Clean connections/hook up all terminals before launch
- Use anti-corrosive product for connections
- Ensure mechanical systems work properly
Hoses, Cables and Belts
- Check clamps and hoses for corrosion or leaks
- Change engine belts
- Inspect exhaust elbows
- Inspect impeller and wear ring
- Inspect linkage and steering controls/adjust and lubricate
- Change holding tank filter
- Start water system/fill tank
- Test water systems/remove non-toxic antifreeze (including the spigots in galley and head, shower sump, deck faucet).
Exterior of Boat
- Cleanse/paint strainers
- Prepare and paint lower unit (if needed)
- Prepare and paint underside
- Cleanse boarding ladder, boarding step and swim platform
- Re-install canvas and exterior cushions
Hulls and Propellers
- Install new zinc
- Remove debris from propeller/check for blade damage
- Check the conditions of boots and shaft
- Check/clean raw water strainers
- Change out gaskets and raw water pump impellers
- remove debris from seacocks (if needed)
- Confirm proper operation/lubricate seacocks
- Make sure your insurance is current and proof of insurance is safely stored in your boat
- Check and certify fire extinguishers
- Replace wiper blades and adjust them
- Ensure enough lifejackets are onboard
Enjoy Your Boating Season!
Once you’ve gone through this checklist ahead of time, you’ll have far fewer worries or surprises upon getting out there. Now it’s time to make some new memories you’ll talk about for a long time. Serving you since 1966, Xpress Boats is proud to be a part of your boating adventures this season and the many more to come!
Xclusive Pro Bass
Xclusive has it all, looks, fishability, storage, comfort, and – most importantly – performance.
This is the right boat for any application, fish or fowl.
This feature rich boat has been designed for the angler wanting all of the essentials wrapped up in a conservative budget.